Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Two McDonalds Equal One Healthy Person

Tim and I met at the gym in 2000. We were both in super shape. Fast forward seven years, and, well, there's a bit more flab between the two of us. The funny thing is that we each have half the healthy/weight loss equation down pat. Tim goes to the gym just about every day, but he eats poorly. I'm quite good with food (cooking veggies right now, actually, and haven't had McDonald's since I watched Supersize Me at least six months ago), but I don't make the time to exercise.

Yesterday, I scolded Tim for loading up a piece of bread with whipped honey. It was very uncalled for, but I hate to see him putting toxic stuff into his body. Well, today I got my just deserves when he e-mailed that he had eaten a healthy lunch and I was "morally obligated" to ride my bike after work. The guilt was a great motivator because I rode on my indoor bike after work.

I enjoy exercising once I'm doing it, but I'm not good at motivating myself (we actually trained for and completed a 40-mile ride in May). So, might this bordering-on-verbally-abusive method be the final jump start to get my butt in gear? Plus, I need to keep reminding myself that I'll soon need less weight and more energy to keep up with a little one. I sure hope I can keep it up. The publication for which I work has been featuring a staff fitness challenge since January and I've got until November-ish to get reveal-photo ready. I will NOT be the only one who's fatter than the "before" picture. — Sarah

4 comments:

Jen said...

Don't forget the upper body workout....so you can carry around your little one too. I don't know about you but that's where I'm sorely lacking. I can't imagine holding a baby for more than 15 mins :) Ha. I'm in for it.

Tasha Kent said...

Ugh. I totally hear where you are coming from. I'm trying to lose 20 lbs before I travel to bring home my child.

I found your blog via another international adoption site. I hope you don't mind my visiting.

Jason and Leah said...

Hi! My husband and I are waiting to go to Ethiopia to pick up our daughter. I read your blog from before about buying stuff for your baby. I hear you on the used stuff...but I got ovet it!(slowly - with the help of my husband!!!) I bought a new crib, bedding, and change table (from Ebay - it was SO much cheaper) and other new linens. But I got some great 2nd hand stuff: baby swing, exersaucer, bouncy chair, baby-piani-toy-thing(!), a rocking horse and tons of booksand toys. I got lots of stuff from garage sales and baby swap meets. If it was possible to wash anything from them I would (ie. baby swing cover...) and any toys that I received I just washed them VERY well!! I agree though, some things just have to be bought new. Especially things with safety concerns (like the car seat you mentioned). I hope you enjoy buying all the stuff for you baby. And BABIES R US is such a fun store....I find myself just driving there at times!!! Hope all goes well with your adoption!
Leah

Playful Platypus said...

Hi, you left a comment on my blog (randt-onourway) so I thought I'd return the compliment! It's great to make new acquaintances from all over through the shared experience of Ethiopia adoption!! I hope your adoption journey continues smoothly and you receive your referral next spring as expected, if not sooner!

Roma (aka MamaGiggles)