Friday, December 14, 2007

the costs of a child

i would always be a little sceptical about those stories on how much it costs to raise a child. inevitably it seems these stories are done by either the washington post or the new york times. they are probably using people who live in those cities as thier sample group. these are two very expensive cities to live in so costs are much higher and the people who probably submit themselves like to look good by overspending as some sort of status symbol. it is not cheap but i do not think you should get stressed out over the cost. and remeber this is usually the cost of one child we would get "economies of scale" with more children so the second usually will not cost as much as the first and so on.
tim

1 comment:

Gurskes said...

Hey Tim, Nice to hear from you :-).
Good points about the costs, I hadn't really thought about where these stories are written compared to where we live. Sometimes too, I think people get sooooo wrapped up in things they "want" for there children vs. "needs." So establishing what children really need is sooo important. (I should really just take my own advice right there haha, I'm a shop aholic for our little guy! I think your wife likes to buy stuff for you little one too if i'm not mistaken :-)......)

Have a great weekend you two!