Sunday, January 13, 2008

Mommy Track?

Two posts in one day - must be a rainy Sunday!

I found this essay today on Babble about stay-at-home moms. This is certainly a topic Tim and I face at the moment. I don't think I've ever really seen myself as a stay-at-home mom - we've both worked really hard to get to where we are with our careers. But on the other hand, why go through all of this stuff to become a parent if you're just going to stick them in daycare for 8 hours a day? Plus, daycare freaks me out!!! It seems like every time you turn on the news you hear another horror story.

How have you dealt with this? - Sarah

2 comments:

Gurskes said...

Hey Guys!

So Jeff and I (and my mother and father) were shopping for a stroller yesterday and I was just sooooooo annoyed over all the pregnant bellies that just kept hitting me in every aisle (litterally the baby stores were packed with prego women!!!!!!). I'm not saying they are not BEAUTIFUL women...because they are. I'm very happy for them, and i'm sure one day Jeff and I will be there too, but UHHHHHH here I am NO BELLY and the cart is full of stuff. Does anyone get US??? NOPE! No one asks about our pregnancy, no one asks how far along we are, nobody asks when are you due! SERIOUSLY WE HAD LIKE 5 DIFFERNT SALES PEOPLE HELP US! Alright i'm freaking out on your post, but it is difficult when NOBODY ASKS!

Bottom line Blogging helps, Adoption groups help, Doing the nursery HELPS!!!! (honestly it does). I think we develop our own sense of confidence that nobody undestands. We have the same emotions (sometimes worse) thans pregnant couples. This IS a preganancy and needs to be handeld with care!

Love you guys and hope all is well!

Ohh also I NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS thought i'd be a stay at home mom. I'm so independent....work driven...control freak.

YUP I'm totally going to be a stay at home mom....maybe get a part time job. But really, I want to bond with my child and just really be there for him and my husband and our family!

:-) Sorry so much!

graceling said...

With my bio daughter, I stayed home (worked part-time, college full-time but online)for the first year. I then was forced to return to work because we separated and eventually divorced. Putting my daughter into daycare was an difficult choice at that age, BUT- she loved it and cried on the weekends when she couldn't see her friends! I think it helped that she was 14 months old and practically a genius (she was speaking in complete sentances).

With this new one, being a single mom, I HAVE to go back to work. I plan on staying home for about 10-12 weeks, but then I must go back. Thankfully, I have the kind of job where I only work 3 days a week (3 12-hour shifts=36 hours/week) so I will still get to be with my girls quite a bit. And I am also requesting a toddler, which is different from putting a baby into day care.

I have only had amazing experiences with day care, and I have used 4 different centers- but then, I also researched each day care center and spent quite a bit of time "hanging out" and getting a feel for them.

I definitly think that even if you don't put your child into "day care," by the time they are toddlers, they really benefit from spending a few hours away from mom and with other kids their age. It teaches them the social skills they need to prepare for school and life- it teaches them to listen and obey other authority figures than mom and dad, they can benefit from "positive peer pressure" (ie- my daughter's best friend potty trained in 2 days after she saw my daughter's cool, sparkly Nemo panties), and it helps them develop their identity.

But, that is just my 2 cents. My daughter has always been very social (and I anticipate that my new daughter, having spent time in an orphanage, will probably be very social as well.) And to be honest, even if my circumstances were different, I don't think I could totally give up working because it's good for ME. I love being a mom, but I also love going out into the world and being valued for something other than my ability to clean up puke, find the sparkly silver dress-up scarf, and make PB&J sammies. It's good for MY mental health to remember that I am multi-faceted, and have worked hard to accomplish things. I think it is good for my daughter to see that Momma can go out and conquer the world. I want her to learn that she can do anything, and when she watches me achieve, it shows her that she can do it, too!

Good luck with this difficult choice.