Thursday, September 18, 2008

It's 5:20 p.m. Do You Know Where Nigel Is?

He's in BED! Ok, so here's our dirty little family secret: Ever since we got back on Aug. 3, Nigel's been waking FOR GOOD at 3:30 a.m.!!!!!! And since he was wide-eyed, we just assumed this was the hell we were destined to live in. But, after the millionth person recommended Health Sleep Habits, Happy Child on Monday, our lives have changed.

Counter intuitive to what you might think, author Weissbluth suggested we put Nigel down earlier than the 6:30 p.m. bedtime we were rolling with in order to make him sleep later. Now, Nigel still wakes up once or twice a night to eat, which is totally normal, but he goes back to sleep. Today he slept until 7 a.m. I had to wake Tim up for work!!!! AMAZING! Sometimes he cries himself to sleep, but that's cool, too, because we know it's best for him (and us) if he snoozes. He's also on a better nap schedule. Seriously people, I'd kiss that Weissbluth guy if I saw him (hopefully I'm not jinxing our new-found sleep bliss).

As a result, Nigel and I are much happier during the day, and Tim is much more rested for work. So, now that we're a family among the waken, here's what we've been up to:


After our first post-placement visit with our SW (which was a total breeze, by the way) we walked down to our local coffee and ice cream shop and had a cone. I even let Nigel have a pea-sized taste of vanilla (GASP!, Call the nutrition police).


Nigel's feeling posh in this shot thanks to this styling shirt from my pal Annemarie in L.A., Calif.


I walked Nigel down to the park today for his second whirl on the swings. I know he's too little, but he really enjoys it.


And finally, Nigel's graduated to the hip position on the Hot Sling. Here he is from my vantage point.
- Sarah

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that the sleeping is going better for you guys. We are not so lucky over here. :-(

Is there an age they recommend for the hip carry? I've been carrying Thea like that for a few weeks, and it seems to be working well, but now I'm worried that I tried it too early.

Emily B. said...

wait- you put him to bed EARLIER to get him to sleep LATER?!?!?! I gotta check this book out. It sounds crazy but I'm glad it's working for you :)

Elisabeth said...

I just found your blog through another blog - I am glad you have found a sleep solution! I look forward to reading more of your blog!

ellen