Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More on Nadya Suleman

Since writing this post about Nadya Suleman, the single mother who recently gave birth to 8 babies, I've read up a little more about the situation. I also watched Ann Curry's interview with Suleman last night.

While I'm certainly not condoning what she has done (I can't even imagine parenting two kids with a husband, let alone 14 by myself), and I'm a bit outraged that she used what little funding she had to pay for IVF cycles instead of providing food for her existing 6 kids so they wouldn't have to rely on food stamps, I still feel she's being treated unfairly because she's a single mother.

I don't claim to know everything about IVF and I'm younger than Suleman, but when our IVF options were explained to us, there was talk of implanting more than 1 embryo. And I know several women who've had more than 1 embryo implanted, including this one I imagine- so why is there a witch hunt out for docs who implant more than 1? Yes, I realize 6 is excessive, but I can empathize with her concern for those embryos, and not wanting to destroy (read, kill) them. The ironic thing is that I feel like the people who are most up in arms about this are the same ones who fight to defend a woman's right to choose an abortion. So choice doesn't go both ways??

And come on, why are people making comparisons between her and Angelina Jolie? That kinda makes me sick.

Lastly, I really, really dislike Ann Curry. I think she's rude for the sake of being rude. I'm a journalist, so I know you have to ask tough questions, but she's just a jerk. [For instance, she recently interviewed Brad Pitt, asking him if he thought his good looks held him back (what the hell kind of question is that?). He said "I don't know what you're asking?" and she snapped "Oh yes you do." Get a grip lady, it's Brad Pitt, you're not grilling Ahmadinejad!] But she really pissed me off last night when she asked Suleman how taking student loans was different from welfare. Well, biatch, some people don't have mommies and daddies who pay for their schooling, so we peons have to take out loans! And I'm one of 'em! There were several semesters when Tim and I took the max loan amount so we could work less and study more.

Ok, that's it. Thanks for reading my rants, as incoherent and random as they are today. - Sarah

6 comments:

Adopting1Soon said...

I still think she's insane. Not because she's single, and not because she has school loans. I think she's insane because she purposefully had too many embryos put inside her when that's dangerous to herself and the embryos, when she alrady has 6 other kids, and no means to support them. Oh, and the plastic surgery to look like Angelina is creepy. But we can agree to disagree.

Sarah and Tim said...

Fair enough, Adopting1Soon - I don't disagree that what she did was crazy and dangerous. However, she's denied the plasic surgeries. I might be a little gullible on that one, though.....

Nicholas said...

Oh Momma bear! Hear you roar! You're on a roll! Ya know, I haven't paid any attention to this story at all and know nothing.

I'd like to catch up and then respond! :)

Anonymous said...

I hate that her mother has been caring for the 6 "original" kids and had to file bankruptcy and her daughter does not seem to care. The grandma went to the Dr. and asked him not to implant so many in her daughter or any at all and he promised he would not. Now that the mother has spoken about the issues, the daughter has taken all 6 "originals" to an undisclosed location and grandma has been ditched. And the website asking for money is ridiculous!
One of the former owners of PoshTots has received national attention for adopting embryos. Their story is in the current issue of Good Housekeeping and shows a wonderful option for additional embryos so they won't be destroyed.
Once you see the before and after photos you will be convinced she has had lots of surgery. Not that it affects her mothering ability, but it shows where she chooses to put her money. She is obviously battling some serious mental issues and hoping to solve it by loving too many babies. It is a sad story all the way around.

Anonymous said...

According to Kate Gosselin, her sextuplets were concieved through IUI not IVF.

Sarah and Tim said...

If that's what Kate says, anonymous, then fine. But that's kinda splitting hairs. Although IUI and IVF are different, IUI typically includes an egg-stimulating fertility drug, just like IVF. Therefore, they both come with the risk of multiple births. More importantly, though, is the fact that Kate also chose not to selectively reduce the number of babes in her belly.

BTW, I think anonymous comments are lame, so I'm no longer allowing them!